Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Headed in the right direction


I often wonder what kind of environment my son or even my grandchildren will inherit. Being environmentally conscious, although the idea has been around for long time did not really take off until just recently, I feel, in my lifetime. I remember learning about recycling in grade school and how it truly was a new concept but now I virtually don’t know anyone who doesn’t recycle in their home, at work or even on vacation. Do I think we still have a long way to go? Definitely. We are faced with new issues every day, the generations to come will have to pay for the sins of their predecessors and it is our job to try and lessen the burden they did not create. Not only are we becoming more aware of our world and what is happening to it but we are becoming more aware of what is going into our bodies. Many people only buy organic and go for a farm to table kind of diet. We are sickened by the hormones injected and living conditions of the mass produced livestock. We are beginning to hold these massive and corrupt companies accountable for the damage they are causing, both to our world and our bodies. As the most evolved species on this earth, we have a duty to all other living things. We alone have the ability to save or destroy our planet, no other animal has that. I know that my son will be so aware, more than I, of his home and how he and people around him live and interact with the planet. We are an evolving species and I think we are in the middle of that process….once again. Slowly but surely, we are shedding our wasteful and destructive skins and adapting to our new environment and looking for ways to improve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment