Monday, July 15, 2013

Overall this is one of the first history classes I have truly enjoyed. Different than any other history class or textbook I have read. The textbook focusing mainly on the aspect that Strayer is not writing based on a Eurocentric type view. I tend to get my news from BBC simply because it tends to be the most well-rounded option. Watching news channels, in particularly the Fox channel drives me up a wall because I don’t like the feeling that I am not receiving the whole truth. Strayer and our professor for that matter gave great lessons on the WHOLE world rather than our own little bubble.
Other countries are too often painted out to be less than what they are in order to boost our own opinions of ourselves as “Americans”. After taking this class, I now know that even the term “American” can be seen as insulting to others, something I had never even been aware of before. Also, realizing that China is in fact a superpower and has been for a long time also came as a “duh” moment to me.
One thing that I have been turning over in my head is the idea that we are in fact moving into a new era, one could possibly call it the “Era of Technology”. When my two year son is fifty I know that the world will be a completely different place. Hopefully we as humans will realize that we are truly connected with the earth and that it’s a symbiotic relationship between the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment